Thursday, November 13, 2014

slice of life #2

As I climb upwards, I feel myself leaning forwards. I can clearly see the fresh fallen snow, only disrupted by our heavy footprints. When I finally reach the top, I lift my head to look around. For a moment, everything is silent then comes the noise of a breeze swishing past, distant traffic, and the rubbing noise that snow gear makes when you walk in it. I look around, there at the bottom of the hill is the school. On my other side, everything has a layer of white across the top that seems to wash away the color. When I try to sniff, the cold air covers up any other scent. Suddenly I have an idea. "Common" I shout to my fellow hikers, then I start running down the hill. I slip, and as I swiftly gulp down air before I hit the ground, the freezing air pierces my lungs. Once back on top, we all hurry to the building. As we arrive, I feel burst of sunlight on my back, and smile.  

5 comments:

  1. Good description. That was a fun walk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially love the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hiking. Hiking and slicing. Nice slice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely descriptions! It puts me right back in that moment with you. I especially love this line: "When I try to sniff, the cold air covers up any other scent."

    ReplyDelete